Coaching/Consulting for Musicians
Megan Ihnen is a mezzo-soprano on a mission to change the world through the commissioning, performance, and proliferation of new music. She has collaborated with individuals and ensembles around the globe including: International Contemporary Ensemble, Fifth House Ensemble, Great Noise Ensemble, Rhymes With Opera, and Synchromy. She is deeply committed to the belief that new music should be performed and loved in communities of all sizes. Megan’s advocacy for music and musicians extends beyond the performance stage. She also effects change as a non-profit arts coach and consultant. You have likely interacted with her work for Nief-Norf, Live Music Project, New Music USA, and many individual artists throughout classical and new music. Megan’s work at the intersection of performance, creative placemaking, audience development, and music entrepreneurship is a delight and relief to her clients and colleagues.
Megan has helped my organization work through several challenges and opportunities, including touring and Board governance. What Megan does best is take you as you come, not asking for anything more than you can offer, and organize thoughts and ideas in a much more compelling and energetic way. Our work together on engaging my Board has been tremendous.Jillian Flexner, President, Fresh Squeezed Opera
Are you looking to level up in your creative business?
If you’re feeling stuck and want to find focus, clarity and ultimately more freedom in your professionally creative life, you’re in the right place…
Are the gigs and money flowing for you?
If so, that’s fantastic! Drop me a line and we’ll toast over a delicious cocktail or coffee.
Not so much? Don’t fret! I work with creative entrepreneurs all the time who feel like:
– I’m constantly behind and more work keeps piling up.
– I’m getting checks from gigs or commissions, but I’m somehow still losing money on my creative work.
– I want to be seen as an artist.
– I’m full of ideas, but too busy to know where to even start.
– I want to move away from all the administrative work.
In 1:1 Coaching/Consulting, I work with individuals and small non-profit organizations to avoid burnout and feel like they have a road map for success.
That looks like…
- Developing your income streams through clear, manageable steps.
- Attracting ideal presenters, students, and/or clients.
- Establishing visibility in your field.
- Achieving clarity on long-term goals.
- Touring your programs and productions.
- Creating a content calendar and communications strategy for individuals or organizations.
- Connecting with press for your upcoming performance or album project.
- Drafting development campaigns that inspire individual giving.
- Building a positive and profitable private teaching studio.
- Expanding your audience development efforts.
It’s about finding solutions for your exact situation. It’s about having someone you trust who can help you think through all of the details. It’s about having someone who actively cheers you on toward achieving your big, audacious goals.
I sought Megan’s help at a time in my career where I felt extremely stuck. I needed direction, and someone outside of my head to organize my thoughts. As singers, we are given a lot of tools on how to get ourselves seen and start our careers. However, there is little direction when we get past a certain point. I was able to share these thoughts with Megan, as well as talk through what I wanted to see in the future. She was able to give me a comprehensive and cohesive plan to move forward. She talked me through ideas so I could find clarity in my goals and mission. I highly recommend her to any individual or organization who needs clarity and planning to move forward.Candice Shaughnessy, Soprano and Voice Teacher at AMDA NY, New York, NY
Are you ready?
I support creative professionals just like you.
You might be realizing that you didn’t learn how to do a lot of this stuff in school. That’s okay. It’s your time right now.
Do you need help:
- Crafting your marketing materials?
- Establishing your offerings?
- Getting a recording, book, or performance project off the ground
- Developing revenue through earned income, grants, and corporate sponsorship?
- Building systems into your infrastructure so you can spend more time working in your business and not on your business?
- Letting yourself dream big dreams again?
My 1:1 coaching/consulting support is designed to offer creative entrepreneurship support to anyone who:
- is a team of one, and needs help to get past a block.
- feels like they have a lot of ideas but needs help focusing on impact.
- wants access to support to keep growing and to reach new goals
- realizes you can’t do this stuff alone.
Before the meeting:
Sign up for a time via Calendly below. I recommend an hour for our first session. After that, I’m happy to do longer or shorter sessions at prorated fees.
Before we meet, I ask my clients to send me an email with their biggest concerns (or what task/project they want to focus on during our meeting.) This email can be as stream-of-consciousness as you want it to be. No need to spend a ton of time making it look pretty – I’ll use it to create an outline for myself.
I’ll share that outline with you via Google Docs before we meet but no need to do anything with it until we’re in the session together.
Whether you prefer phone, video chat, or in-person (if possible), is fine by me. We’ll meet in the way that makes you feel the most comfortable. I’ll make sure to get your contact details beforehand.
If you want to talk financials, feel free to have any documentation on hand that is appropriate. But, there’s no need to prepare any materials for it unless I ask.
After the meeting:
I’ll send you an invoice via Wave apps. My fee for individuals in 2021 is $100 per 1 hour session (Note: Non-profit consulting is available on a project basis.)
You can pay via Wave or through PayPal/Venmo. Let me know if you prefer another method.
We set up another meeting if you want to. I want my clients to know they can see me as often or as little as fits their budget/consulting needs.
About two weeks after our meeting, I’ll email you to hear about what feels awesome and what still feels “stuck.” This feedback from you really helps me become a better coach/consultant.