Strategy, Marketing/Communications, & Development for Non-Profits
Megan Ihnen is a mezzo-soprano on a mission to change the world through the commissioning, performance, and proliferation of new music. Megan’s advocacy for music and musicians extends beyond the performance stage. She also effects change as a non-profit arts consultant and contractor specializing in communications, marketing, and PR. You may have interacted with her work for Nief-Norf, Live Music Project, New Music USA, and many organizations and ensembles throughout classical and new music. Megan’s work at the intersection of performance, creative placemaking, audience development, and music entrepreneurship is a delight and relief to her clients and colleagues.
Working with Megan over the last few years has been extremely beneficial to my work. She is a master at creating space for self-reflection, while also helping to create a plan of attack for solving some of the recurring issues that we face as creatives. As adults, we often lose the support network we had in younger mentored years, and having Megan [read: a dedicated professional not attached to my day-to-day circles] available to help me navigate some complex professional decisions has been beneficial to not only me and my work, but to my professional relationships as well.Andy Bliss, Percussionist, Educator, and Artistic Director of Nief-Norf, Knoxville, TN
Are you looking to level up your non-profit or creative business?
If you’re feeling stuck and want to find focus, clarity, and ultimately more freedom in your professionally creative life, you’re in the right place…
Are your programs, services, and development procedures running like clockwork?
If so, that’s fantastic! Drop me a line and we’ll toast over a delicious cocktail or coffee.
Not so much? Don’t fret! I work with non-profit professionals and creative entrepreneurs all the time who feel like:
– I’m constantly behind and more work keeps piling up.
– We’re getting individual donations, but we’re somehow still losing money on our creative work.
– I want to be able to follow a plan, but I’m too busy to make the plan.
– I have lots of ideas, but I’m unsure which ideas will have the most impact.
– I don’t want to feel buried in all the administrative work.
I’ve had multiple consulting sessions with Megan Ihnen covering a wide range of issues related to my work as a composer in addition to my work as a non-profit administrator. I’m constantly impressed by how well Megan can wade through a complex issue and find the core of it, giving great advice on how to move forward. She’s patient, kind, whip-smart and highly respected in the new music community. I have never hesitated to suggest her as a facilitator to organizations I’m involved in, because I trust her integrity, creativity, and overall talent in this field. Any meeting is improved by her presence. She’s just that good at this.Jason Barabba: Composer, Director of Artistic Planning for Synchromy and Assistant Director for Piano Spheres, Los Angeles, CA
In 1:1 Consulting, I work with individuals and small non-profit organizations to avoid burnout and feel like they have a road map for success.
That looks like…
- Developing your income streams through clear, manageable steps.
- Attracting ideal presenters, students, and/or clients.
- Establishing visibility in your field.
- Achieving clarity on long-term goals.
- Touring your programs and productions.
- Creating a content calendar and communications strategy for individuals or organizations.
- Connecting with press for your upcoming performance or album project.
- Drafting development campaigns that inspire individual giving.
- Building a positive and profitable private teaching studio.
- Expanding your audience development efforts.
It’s about finding solutions for your exact situation. It’s about having someone you trust who can help you think through all of the details. It’s about having someone who actively cheers you on toward achieving your big, audacious goals.
Are you ready?
I support creative professionals just like you.
You might be realizing that you didn’t learn how to do a lot of this stuff in school. That’s okay. It’s your time right now.
Do you need help:
- Crafting your marketing materials?
- Establishing your offerings?
- Getting a recording, book, or performance project off the ground?
- Developing revenue through earned income, grants, and corporate sponsorship?
- Building systems into your infrastructure so you can spend more time working in your business and not on your business?
- Letting yourself dream big dreams again?
My 1:1 consulting support is designed to offer creative entrepreneurship support to anyone who:
- is a team of one or a very small team, and needs help to get strategies or plans into motion.
- wants access to support to keep growing and to reach new goals
- realizes you can’t do this stuff alone.
Working with Megan was a great investment. I had just gone through several big life changes and wasn’t sure how to make my daydreams a reality. I spoke with her in September 2019, and in December, she suggested me for a position that has been extremely fulfilling and MORE than paid for my initial time with her. I found coaching with her pre-job to be so helpful that I even set up a second time to talk strategy in my new role. For anyone wondering if an hour with her would be helpful – it’s a resounding YES from me.Allie Porter, Marketing Manager, Fifth House Ensemble
The Process & Fees for Non-Profits
Before the meeting:
I recommend finding a 30 minute walk & talk time for us to discuss your needs or project.
Schedule a discovery call with Megan.
After our initial phone call, I will create an estimate for our work together. We can work on a project basis or on a month-to-month retainer. For recurring clients, you can expect an initial investment between $500 – $2,000 per month depending on the scope of work.
There is no commitment to working together until after you accept the estimate. Once you accept, you’ll be expected to make a 50% downpayment. For project work, the second half of the payment will be made on completion. For recurring clients, you will be invoiced monthly.
Whether you prefer phone, video chat, or in-person (if possible), is fine by me. We’ll meet in the way that makes you feel the most comfortable. I’ll make sure to get your contact details beforehand.
If you want to talk financials, please have any documentation on hand that is appropriate. You will only need to prepare other materials if I ask.
After the meeting:
I’ll send you an invoice via Wave apps.
You can pay via Wave or through PayPal/Venmo. Let me know if you prefer another method.
You are welcome to set up working sessions through Calendly as your schedule permits.