Pianist Marianne Parker and mezzo-soprano Megan Ihnen are a chamber music duo inspired by exploring new modes of expression for their traditional instrumentation. Their mission is two-fold: connect eager audiences with composers who are writing contemporary art song and to encourage young musicians to explore beyond the boundaries of voice and piano duos of the past. Both Marianne and Megan have curated anthologies of 21st century repertoire for NewMusicShelf. They premiered the anthology for mezzo-soprano voice and piano at the National Opera Center in January 2019. Marianne and Megan enjoy working with students of all ages and abilities through their workshops and masterclasses. They seek to be a connective force between composers, other performers, and listeners.
Learn more about Marianne Parker at marianneparker.com.
NewMusicShelf Anthology of New Music for Mezzo-Soprano
Curated by mezzo-soprano Megan Ihnen, this collection of 20 art songs is ideal for active performers looking for exciting new repertoire, voice teachers searching for fresh contemporary songs for their studios, or student vocalists seeking out unique and culturally-relevant new works to fulfill 21st century repertoire requirements.
Note: Voice departments who invite Megan for masterclasses or performances will receive a free gift set of the NewMusicShelf Anthologies of New Music for soprano, mezzo-soprano, tenor, and baritone.
- First Time He Kissed Me – Michael Betteridge
- From the unreal (from To the Soul: Five Sacred Songs) – Mark Buller
- Sister Maude – Stephen DeCesare
- love is a place (from Three Songs) – Douglas Fisk
- Without A Thorn – Matt Frey
- I would live in your love (from Three Teasdale Songs) – Jodi Goble
- Let Evening Come (from Late Afternoon) – Ricky Ian Gordon
- Im Harren – Cara Haxo
- Death (from Fragments of Solitude) – Cameron Lam
- Give Me Your Hand – Cecilia Livingston
- Silent Noon (from Three Songs) – Shona Mackay
- Prairie Dawn – Tony Manfredonia
- Air Stirs – Nicole Murphy
- Thief’s Song (from The Accidental Feast of the Holy Fool) – Eric Pazdziora
- Scheherazade – Frances Pollock
- Prayer at my parting (from Portraits of Disquiet) – Julia Seeholzer
- Look Down Fair Moon – Alan Thiesen
- Good Bones – Dennis Tobenski
- Dark Pines Under Water – Moe Touizrar
- Blackbird Etude – Ed Windels
For booking inquiries in the US, please contact:
Megan Ihnen, Mezzo-Soprano
Email [Subject line: Offered Programs Inquiry]
Buy the Anthology
This collection of 20 art songs is ideal for active performers looking for exciting new repertoire, voice teachers searching for fresh contemporary songs for their studios, or student vocalists seeking out unique and culturally-relevant new works to fulfill 21st century repertoire requirements.
These songs, composed exclusively in the 21st century, represent a broad range of compositional styles from composers living and writing today, and were curated for intermediate through advanced voices. Many of the songs in this volume are excerpted from larger cycles of songs, available directly from the composers.